Are you struggling to make headway in the direction of your dreams?
When our elemental energy is out of balance, we are swimming upstream, pushing against the current. We aimlessly go through the motions, and wonder why our dreams seem so far away.
Self-empowerment starts with inner balance. When we are living in flow, we are energetically centered and open to receive. We are not burning out of control, or stuck in the mud. We have just the right amounts of air, earth, fire and water energies to ride the cosmic wave.
So, how do we balance the elemental scales in the body?
An increased understanding of the elements, and how they play out in our lives, is the starting point.
Are you predominantly air, earth, fire or water? We all have a mixture of the elements. However, depending on your dosha, natal chart, cultural background and personal preferences, some elements are more dominant, while others take a back seat.
Your natal chart provides a good place to start the self-discovery process. When you go beyond your Sun sign, it provides an overall picture of your elemental environment. Take a deeper look at your Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Rising signs. Are these planets predominantly in air, earth, fire or water signs?
Here is the Sign/Element List:
- Air Signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
- Earth Signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
- Fire Signs: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
- Water Signs: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
Still confused? Let me share my chart as an example:
- Sun is in Leo = Fire
- Rising is in Virgo = Earth
- Moon is in Libra = Air
- Mercury is in Virgo = Earth
- Venus is in Cancer = Water
- Mars is in Aries = Fire
I’m dominant in Fire and Earth, however in the Ayurveda tradition, my dosha is definitely Pitta. So, I would say that I run hot most of the time. When my inner fire is burning like wildfire, I find myself bouncing from passion project to passion project, struggling to finish any of them!
You’re elemental make-up may be different than mine. When you’re imbalanced in one of the four elements it looks like this:
If you have too much air…
You’re an airy fairy with great ideas. However, you tend to get scattered, and need to work on manifesting your stellar ideas in tangible form.
If you have too much earth…
You’re an earthy mama, rooted in your ways. Down to earth and wise, you may prefer the safety and security of your oh so comfortable comfort zone.
If you have too much fire…
You’re a firecracker! Impatient, impulsive and easily bored, you start projects, but struggle to finish them.
If you have too much water…
You’re an emotional siren. While your artistic powers are unprecedented, you can be fearful and lack the confidence to share them with the world.
Now that you have a basic understanding of your elemental nature. Next, bring balance to your energetic combination by channeling the element opposite to your dominant element on the elemental wheel.
Let me break it down for you…
If you’re too airy, channel water energy
- Take a therapeutic bath
- Eat seafood, algae and water-rich fruits and vegetables
- Drink herbal tea
- Go to the beach
- Call upon one of the water spirit animals
- Invoke one of the water goddesses
If you’re too earthy, channel fire energy
- Try something new!
- Fire Gazing Meditation — focus your awareness on a candle’s flame
- Have a glass of wine with your meal
- Add hot spices to your diet
- Take a dance or cardio class
- Call upon one of the fire spirit animals
- Invoke one of the fire goddesses
If you’re too fiery, channel earth energy
- Spend time in nature
- Follow a consistent, daily routine
- Get a good nights sleep
- Call upon one of earth spirit animals
- Invoke one of the earth goddesses
If you’re too watery, channel air energy
- Take a yoga, aerial yoga or tai chi class
- Open the windows
- Practice alternate nostril breathing
- Practice Ujjayi breathing
- Burn sage
- Call upon one of the air spirit animals
- Invoke one of the air goddesses
When you start to balance the elemental scales in the body, you clear away the head smog, so that the perfect path to reach your goals unfolds. With clear vision and the perfect plan as your guide, you’re equipped with everything you need to manifest your dreams.
Are you predominantly air, earth, fire or water? And how do you cultivate balance? Share in the comments!
If you like this article, join our magical mailing list to be the first to hear about new articles and offerings.